Wednesday, September 1, 2010

An Open Letter to Hollywood

Dear Hollywood,

I hate James Cameron's Avatar.

There, I said it. It seems that I'm among the minority here, but I truly do loathe movies that are intended for the (once again) popular trend of creating 3D movies.

Some of you who were alive back in the late 80's and early 90's may remember that 3D is not a new idea. The idea and practice behind 3D movies has been around since 1903, and was popularized in the 1950's. It faded out of style once again in the late 60's and early 70's, with only a few films released in that time period. It once again gained popularity in the 80's and 90's, and once again fell off the grid.

Now James Cameron has once again put 3D on the map.

I confess, I kind of hate him for it. 3D for me, personally, and for a lot of other people, has been a massive headache, and a definite pain in the neck in order to fit on those ridiculous 3D glasses.

The 3D effects have never been impressive for me. They've done nothing to tickle my fancy, and have been rather lackluster, and even having seen James Cameron's film, I still remain unimpressed and annoyed that the trend of 3D films is back.

All I think to myself is: Great, another rash of films I can't watch.

In short, please stop this horrifying trend and continue to make films that aren't geared towards a stupid gimmick that'll just die in another few years.

Thanks Hollywood,
-Paul

1 comment:

Kater69 said...

Unfortunately, the trend is in full effect. And it's annoying. I hate it. Without those retarded ass glasses, it looks fuzzy and stupid. With them, YOU look stupid. And on top of that, people that buy TV's with the 3D capability are retarded. The glasses cost $200!! Think about it. You step on them? $200! Your kid decides to hide them? $200! Your dog thinks it's a chew toy? $250! (Vet bill and glasses). Bad buy, consumers. Bad buy.