Monday, March 7, 2011

A Gem of an RPG

This is kind of a dark time for gaming. Early in the year, no real games coming out since Christmas, the companies want to give the folks a little time to replenish their monetary supply for the upcoming spring and summer titles. 

This means I really don't have much to do in the way of gaming until that time. So I look to the XBox Marketplace and the Wii Marketplace for some sort of relief from the monotony. And that's when I found Final Fantasy IV: The After Years.

At first I was curious when I saw it on the Nintendo Wii's marketplace. "Final Fantasy IV was a hell of a game... the After Years?" I read the description, and it turns out it was a direct sequel to FFIV!

Hell yeah, I downloaded it as fast as I could. It was only 800 points, which is about $8 when thinking in terms of real monetary value. How could I possibly go wrong with a Final Fantasy that only costs eight bucks?

I was more right than I could've imagined. Set 17 years after Final Fantasy for, you play as Cecil and Rosa's son, Ceodore, a young candidate for the Red Wings whom Cecil so famously began his career with. Constantly reminded of his lineage, Ceodore is tired of hearing of Cecil the Paladin and Rosa the White Mage. He wants to be his own man, and sets out to do so.

Just as he's beginning his quest, however, Ceodore and company realize that the moon, which was made whole by the actions of Cecil, Rosa and company, has split, revealing itself to be two moons, and the tower of Babil has grown from deep beneath the surface of the planet once again.

What follows is an engrossing, engaging storyline that is a worth successor to the Final Fantasy IV legacy, full of magic, intrigue and the charming presentation of a Super Nintendo title complete with the fun midi music and character sprites that filled me with a nostalgia that didn't break its hold for a second.

If you've got the time, and an extra eight bucks lying around, I highly recommend picking up Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on the Nintendo Wii. And if you don't have a Wii, I'm just awfully surprised.

No comments: