Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Career-Oriented Gripe

I know this topic has probably been done to death considering the recent economic woes that most have been experiencing, but I really do have a legitimate gripe. It's more of a Catch-22 in this case with regards to the complete and total inability to find a job as a recent college graduate.

I graduated Magna Cum Laude from DeVry University in October of last year with a Bachelor's degree in Game and Simulation Programming with a 3.7 GPA. I'm not at all trying to brag about my accomplishment, I'm just stating a fact here.

I've been working at Office Depot for a year and four months now, and while I do enjoy the job, the people and the work. I cannot stand the fact that I have a degree that is essentially going to waste. I've been searching for work for five months, and still haven't found anything. 

I know this is the current state of this country and of most of the world, the economy is in the toilet and we're all feeling the pinch.

The problem isn't the economy, I don't think that's slowly, ever so slowly turning around. The problem is the fact that no one's really willing to take a chance. They're looking for experience, three years or more. 

My question is this: How can I ever pick up experience if I'm not able to land a job in the first place?

1 comment:

JoshR said...

Try making some phone ap games alone or with a partner to gain exposure, build a portfolio, and maybe make some money.