Thursday, March 24, 2011

The "Straight Male Demographic"?

Recently it came to my attention that a fan of BioWare was disgruntled about the fact that Dragon Age 2 had male characters hitting on the main character (in this case a male). 


The Escapist led me to the BioWare forums where David Gaider tore the gamer a new one for his homophobia, and I honestly cannot be prouder of Gaider. I just wanted to applaud the man publicly for his stance on the reality that (I know this may be a shocker for some) not all gamers are male, and, if they are, not all of them are straight.


We're not all straight males in the gaming community. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp? The fact that BioWare has made a game that actually has wide appeal (and it isn't the first time that this has happened, Dragon Age: Origins had bisexual characters) is, I think, a step in the right direction. 


The person that originally posted the topic "Bioware Neglected Their Main Demographic: The Straight Male Gamer" put his thoughts in an eloquent, if misinformed manner, and was thoroughly chewed up and spit out by David Gaider in probably one of the most amusing ways I could possibly think of.


Kudos to you, Mr. Gaider, this just reaffirms my life's goal of one day working for BioWare.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I love how some straight men act like homosexual men are going to drag them into the bedroom and rip their pants off. Sounds like this fan needs some therapy.